School’s out for summer -— just don’t stop reading! Join the fun folks at the Cordova Public Library to keep your kids reading all summer long. Studies show students that don’t read over the summer break have a harder time getting back into the game in the fall.
This summer the staff at the library has designed two summer reading programs. One geared for kindergarten to 3rd-grade readers and a second program for 4th-grade and up. The program for older kids is a more independent session with prizes geared toward the older readers.
Special programs and activities will be held for the younger readers on Fridays from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Lunch will be included and provided through the Cordova School District’s summer lunch program.
Here are the themes for the Friday events:
- June 3: When Grandparents Were Kids
- June 10: Super Soup Spectacular
- June 17: Wheels
- June 24: Motion Commotion
- July 1: Flight Club
- July 8: Ninja Motion
- July 15: Circus of Motion
- July 22: Out of the Ordinary
- July 29: End of Summer Reading Party!!!
Thanks to both the Cordova PTA and Cordova’s Moose Lodge for being sponsors of our Summer Reading program. Supporting Cordova’s kids — please thank them all!
Other new books just in:
- The Bad-ass Librarians of Timbuktu by Hammer, Joshua
- The End of Heart Disease by Fuhrman, Joel
- Left of Boom: How a Young CIA Case Officer Penetrated the Taliban and Al-Qaeda by Smith, John
- Most Blessed of the Patriarchs: Thomas Jefferson and the Empire of the Imagination by Gordon-Reed, Annette
- The Last Mile by Baldacci, David
- Before We Visit the Goddess by Divakaruni, Chitra Banerjee
- Bucky F*cking Dent by Duchovny, David
- Star Wars, Bloodline by Gray, Claudia
- The Murder of Mary Russell : A Novel of Suspense Featuring Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes by King, Laurie R
- The Big Showdown : a Caleb York Western by Spillane, Mickey