Use precautions with liquefied propane gas

Officials with the Alaska State Fire Marshal’s Office have issued an alert on use of liquefied propane gas in the wake of two propane explosions resulting in serious injury to six people.

Since propane is used in many remote locations and rural communities in the state for heating, it is imperative to follow basic safety guidelines, the agency said in an alert issued on Aug. 2.

Individuals smelling a strong odor of gas similar to rotten eggs should leave the area immediately and call the fire department or local Public Safety office from outside the area where the odor was detected.

Other safety tips include always following the manufacturer’s instructions in using propane powered equipment, locating cylinder tanks for stoves and ovens outside of the home, and having propane gas equipment inspected periodically by a profession for possible leaks or malfunctioning parts.

Also never store or use propane gas cylinders larger than one pound inside the home, and never operate a propane-powered gas grill inside the home, the state fire marshal’s office said.