Museum Memories

Mike Heney chose the name “Cordova” for the new townsite after learning of Spanish explorer Salvador Fidalgo’s naming of Cordoba Bay. The incorporation of the city took place on July 8, 1909 and, in the same month, the first section of the Copper River and Northwest Railway opened to traffic. Mike Heney wasn’t an individual to let moss grow under his feet; he had immediately begun construction of the railroad.

This photo is from the Cordova Historical Society collection held in the Museum.