The Alaska SeaLife Center is accepting nominations through Jan. 15 for five categories in its Alaska Ocean Leadership Awards, which are to be presented in a virtual event in March 2021.
The categories include the following:
- Walter J. & Ermalee Hickel Lifetime Achievement Award: a $1,000 cash prize sponsored by the late Gov. Walter J. and the late Ermalee Hickel. It is awarded to an individual or institution that has made an exceptional contribution to management of Alaska’s coastal and ocean resources over a period of 20 or more years.
- Stewardship & Sustainability Award: sponsored by Jason Brune, to an industry initiative that demonstrates the highest commitment to sustainability of ocean resources.
- Marine Research Award: $5OO cash prize sponsored by Clarence Pautzke and Maureen McCrea, for a scientist, team of scientists, or an institution that is acknowledged by peers to have made an original breakthrough contribution or a career spanning achievement in any field of scientific knowledge about Alaska’s oceans.
- Marine Science Outreach Award: $500 cash prize, sponsored by Alaska Ocean Observing System, awarded to the individual, team or organization that has made an outstanding contribution to ocean literacy via formal or informal education, media, or other communications about Alaska’s marine ecosystem.
- Hoffman-Greene Ocean Youth Award: $500 cash prize sponsored by Dale Hoffman, awarded to an individual or team of Alaskan youth ages 12-19, who has displayed dedication to promoting the understanding and stewardship of Alaska’s oceans.
ASLC has operated since 1998 as a private, non-profit research institution and public aquarium in Seward, Alaska. ASLC generates and shares scientific knowledge to promote understanding a stewardship of Alaska’s marine ecosystems.