Confirmation of 558 new cases of the COVID-19 virus between Friday, Dec. 3 and Monday, Dec. 6, boosted the statewide total to date to 147,103, as Alaska remained on high alert, even though the overall number of new cases declined by 12% from a week earlier.
The overall hospitalization rate since the pandemic spread in Alaska in the early spring of 2020 stood at 3,117 and the death toll at 853 individuals, with no new deaths reported during the previous weekend.
Officials in the Alaska Department of Health and Social Services said 56% of Alaskans ages 5 and older have now been fully vaccinated, and that 62 percent of residents ages 5 and older have received at least their first dose of vaccine.
No details were available on how many people have gotten a booster shot.
DHSS is now releasing pandemic data updates on Monday, Wednesday and Friday only.
The 550 resident new resident cases include:
- Anchorage 164
- Greater Wasilla 61
- Fairbanks, Ketchikan 32
- Greater Palmer Area 27
- Northwest Arctic Borough 25
- Juneau 22
- Eagle River 20
- Nome Census Area 16
- Homer 13
- Kenai 12
- North Pole 10
- Kotzebue, Soldotna 8
- Copper River Census Area, Hooper Bay, Houston/Big Lake Area 7
- Seward 6
- Anchor Point, Bethel, Bethel Census Area, Bristol Bay/Lake and Peninsula Combined, Dillingham, Kodiak, Metlakatla 5
- Nome 4
- Chugiak, Dillingham Census Area, Kusilvak Census Area, 3
- Chevak, Delta Junction, Haines, Nikiski, Petersburg, Sitka 2
- Denali Borough, Girdwood, Healy, Kenai Peninsula Borough-North, Kenai Peninsula Borough-South, Ketchikan Gateway Borough, Kodiak Island Borough, North Slope Borough, Skagway, Sterling, Utqiagvik, Valdez and Willow 1
The eight new nonresident cases include two in Anchorage, two in Kenai and one each in Fairbanks, Soldotna, Homer and Juneau.
There are 77 patients hospitalized with confirmed cases of COVID-19 and six additional patients considered under investigation for the virus, for a total of 83 COVID-related hospitalizations.
Twelve of these patients are on ventilators.
A total of 3,566,952 tests for the virus have been conducted to date, with 32,825 tests conducted in the seven days before Monday, Dec. 6.
Local update: No new cases in Cordova
Cordova’s COVID-19 dashboard showed zero active cases and zero new cases as of Monday, Dec. 6. Cordova’s local alert level remains at Level 3 on its mitigation risk plan.