The following incidents were reported to the Cordova Police Department between 09-20-22 thru 10-02-22. Any charges reported in these press releases are merely accusations and the defendant and/or defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
SEPTEMBER 20, TUESDAY:
- At 12:16 am An Officer responded to a report of a bear breaking into an outside freezer, the Officer hazed the bear and helped stack firewood on top of the freezer.
- At 4:38 am An officer responded to a bear in the dumpster at center drive. The bear was asked to vacate the premise.
- At 10:36 am A caller reported an oil spill coming down browning street from an underground tank. Fire Department responders reported to the location and contained the spill.
- At 1:34 pm A caller reported their vehicle had been entered and damaged nothing taken. It was later determined that a black bear had gotten into the vehicle.
- At 3:07 pm A caller reported an instance of check fraud. An officer is currently investigating this incident.
SEPTEMBER 21, WEDNESDAY:
- At 2:39 am A caller reported a black bear in their chicken coop. An officer responded to the location and was unable to locate the bear. The officer contacted the complainant and patrolled the area.
- At 7:59 am a caller reported a bear breaking a window on second street. An officer was advised and patrolled the area but was unable to locate the bear.
- At 9:25 am a caller reported a floating dock off Mavis Island that had been pulled ashore and was washed out again from all the rain. First responders reported to the lake to secure the floating dock.
- At 11:36 am city of Cordova employees. notified dispatch that power creek was washed out. DOT and the city shop were notified and responded to the incident.
- At 4:10 pm a caller reported a bear incident where the bear was bringing other people’s trash into it their yard.
- At 5:27 pm a person was in the lobby to talk to an officer. An officer spoke with the individual.
- At 9:50 pm a caller reported a lost knife and harassment – the caller had evidence and would bring it in the next day. An officer was advised.
- At 10:21 pm a 911 caller requested the non-emergency number (907-424-6100)
- At 11:04 pm a 911 caller reported a bear trying to break into their house on fifth street. An officer reported to the scene of the incident and no bear could be found.
- At 11:52 pm a caller reported a brown bear walking past their house. An officer was advised and patrolled the area no bear was seen.
SEPTEMBER 22, THURSDAY:
- At 12:06 am a caller reported a bear on alder street near their house, could be heard dragging the neighbors trash cans around. An officer reported to the location.
- At 12:07 am caller reported a big bear near coast guard housing, it was trying to get into their trash cans, thought it was a brown bear. An officer contacted the caller and was unable to locate the bear and continued to patrol the area.
- At 12:55 am a 911 caller reported a bear trying to gain entry to their house. An officer was informed about the bear incident and responded to the location, the officer reported they were not able to locate the bear and continued to patrol the area.
- At 6:01 pm a caller reported lost a cooler with fish and a knife (logged and notified an officer)
- At 10:23 pm a caller reported a bear on lake Ave (an officer was advised and responded to the location, the officer was unable to locate the bear and patrolled the area)
SEPTEMBER 23, FRIDAY:
- At 12:00 am a caller reported an individual having difficulties breathing (ambulance first responders were paged, and an officer responded to the location as well -> the individual was transported to the hospital)
- At 4:00 am a caller reported a black bear first Street that ate 2 of their chickens and fled the scene of the crime and headed into the woods (an officer was advised)
- At 7:54 an alarm company called in a burglary alarm for a bank (responsible parties were contacted and an officer responded -> the alarm company called back with an all-clear code from a responsible party -> the towns money is safe)
- At 8:36 a report was made about abandon property on Whitshed road
- At 10:29 an assisting agency called about responded to a bear incident with deterrents
- At 11:49 a caller reported a disturbance on breakwater (an officer responded and transported the individual home)
- At 2:09 pm a 911 call was received about a driverless vehicle that got loose and wandered into a pole (an officer responded to the incident with and assisting agency -> the vehicle was pronounce dead -> the pole was taken to the hospital for minor injuries)
- At 3:37 pm a 911 call was received about something on fire in the harbor (a fire first responder was contacted who responded to the incident and reported that a diesel boat has started its Engine and the smoke came from the Engine starting -> harbor not of fire)
- At 8:27 pm an officer reported a black bear on south second street (an officer was able to square off with the bear and wrestle it into the Woodline)
- At 8:27 pm an officer performed a traffic stop on Whitshed road (they were given a warning and released into the wild)
- At 9:45 pm a caller reported a bear on Whitshed road (an officer was advised)
- At 10:38 pm a caller reported a dead bear on first street -> from a self-inflicted gunshot wound (reported as an apparent suicide from grief from killing chickens twice last night) -> (an officer responded to the incident and spoke with the reporting party and notified the bears next of kin)
SEPTEMBER 24, SATURDAY:
- At 7:25 am a call-in regard to there not being a tsunami expected from 4.9 magnitude earthquake 31 miles north of Valdez was received
- At 8:09 am a caller requested their police report be due by Monday or Tuesday
- At 8:51 am a caller reported a black bear on Lefevre going on the copper river highway (an assisting agency was advised)
- At 8:22 pm a caller reported that the heater in the men’s bathroom at the harbormasters sounded like it was going to blow up (the harbor crew was contacted and would investigate) <- it did not blow up
- At 10:43 pm an officer performed a security check at the Alaskan hotel and bar (the location was safe, and an officer moonwalked out the door and continued patrolling)
- At 11:50 pm a caller reported a vehicle parked illegally on wolf hill (an officer responded to the location, and attempted to contact the owner of the vehicle)
SEPTEMBER 25, SUNDAY:
- At 1:19 am an officer performed a security check at the 13-mile airport (the location was safe, and an officer slid across the hood of their vehicle, jumped thru their window, and continued patrolling)
- At 2:12 am an officer performed a security check at the post office (the location was safe, and they were “selling stamps by the book” <- good to know they follow the rules)
- At 5:28 am an officer reported a black bear around center drive (2 cracker rounds were fired to direct the bear away from civilization -> an officer reported the bear has not come back)
- At 2:49 pm a 911 call was received about an endangered adult in the ocean next to Whitshed road (first responders and officers responded to the location -> the individual was treated for hypothermia and taken to the hospital)
- At 6:22 pm a caller reported a car alarm going off on Eccles lagoon -> the caller reported they had gotten ahold of the owner and the vehicle was reportedly possessed -> the battery was disconnected by the caller so that it wouldn’t be dead the next time the owner tried to drive it
- At 8:18 pm a caller reported they hit a moose near the airport on the copper river highway (the moose ran away and did not leave its insurance information with the caller for the broken head light)
- At 10:54 pm an officer reported a black bear on lake Ave was trying to get into vehicles (the grand theft auto bear was up to 3 stars and was put down when it became combative towards the officer and growled (in bear) “freedom!” <- like in brave heart)
SEPTEMBER 26, MONDAY:
- At 1:52 am an officer performed a security check at the 13-mile airport (the location was safe -> reporting “that it was plane to see”)
- At 3:32 pm an officer cleared debris from the Copper River highway
- At 7:41 pm an officer performed speed enforcement on first street
- At 10:48 pm an officer performed a security check at the 13-mile airport
SEPTEMBER 27, TUESDAY:
- At 3:27 am an officer performed parking enforcement on chase Ave
- At 3:31 am an officer performed a security check at the Odiak slew
- At 3:39 am an officer performed a security check at the high school
- At 3:44 am an officer performed a security check on lakeshore drive
- At 3:51 am an officer performed a security check aa the elementary school
- At 4:00 am an officer performed a security check of second street
- At 4:44 am an officer performed a security check of first street
- At 4:49 am an officer performed a security check of the civic center
- At 4:52 am an officer performed a security check in the alley between first and second street
- At 8:13 am an officer performed traffic enforcement of the school zone
SEPTEMBER 28, WEDNESDAY:
- At 3:31 am an officer performed a security check at the 13-mile airport
- At 10:36 am a caller reported a controlled burn on sunny side drive
SEPTEMBER 29, THURSDAY:
- At 12:26 am a caller reported a black bear was in their chicken coup on fourth street – they had scared the bear away but requested assistance getting there chicken out of the coup (an officer responded to the location and assisted the individual in retrieving the chicken from the coup)
- At 8:41 am a caller reported their chicken coup keeps getting destroyed every night by a bear even thou the chickens are brought in every night on cedar street
- At 8:51 am a caller reported they cleaned up trash from what appears to have been a bear in a not full dumpster on center drive
- At 3:59 pm an outside agency performed a traffic stop
SEPTEMBER 30, FRIDAY:
- At 10:12 am a 911 call from an elevator was received and the responsible party was contacted to confirm the false alarm
- At 10:51 am a person came in for the lock out kit (works every time)
- At 10:52 am an officer served a trespass notice to an individual
- At 9:41 pm an officer performed a traffic stop on first street
OCTOBER 1, SATURDAY:
- At 12:34 am an officer performed a security check at the 13-mile airport
- At 12:52 am an officer stopped to pick up trash on the copper river highway when bear could be heard in the bushes – the officer left the scene tell the bear went away
- At 2:43 am an alarm company notified dispatch of a fire alarm at a business on seafood lane (fire first responders reported to the incident and got together with the responsible party and cleared the incident as a false alarm)
- At 7:15 am a caller reported a small black bear behind the high school -> students were going to be attending school in 30 mins (an officer arrived and was unable to locate the bear – an individual reported to the officer that the bear had left and went out Whitshed)
- At 6:16 pm a caller requested a welfare check on a relative (an officer responded to the relative’s residence and reported they were working all day and were unable to get to the phone – all Is well)
- At 10:38 pm an officer performed a security check on a business on first street (all is well)
- At 11:45 pm an officer performed a security check at the 13- mile airport (all is well)
OCTOBER 2, SUNDAY:
- At 1:06 pm a caller reported a vehicle parked in the middle of the road (an officer responded the vehicle was no longer there when they arrived)
- At 1:52 pm a caller requested a welfare check on a neighbor (an officer responded to the location and the person was reported to be fine)
- At 6:51 pm an officer performed a traffic stop on the copper river highway (they were given a warning)
- At 11:12 pm an officer performed a security check at a business on first street
DMV HOURS: Tuesday – Thurs from 8am to 4:30pm unless otherwise posted. DMV has moved to 602 Railroad Ave. Payments now accepted for dog licenses, ATV/snow machine registrations, citations.