Event: Photo and art show at the Cordova Center Copper River Gallery. Cast your vote in several categories! Show on display all month, winners announced Feb. 19.
Event: The Prince William Sound Science Center will host its first “Kelp the Sound” workshop on March 4 from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. This free workshop provides training for adults interested in kelp farming in Prince William Sound. Attendees will learn from Alaska-based farmers and other stakeholders about how to kelp farm, and the state of the industry. Attendance is limited to 15 attendees and you can sign up by calling the Science Center at 424-5800 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Lunch is provided.
Event: Here is the upcoming Science Center schedule — Feb. 17: Astronomy Night, constellations. 6:30 p.m. – 8 p.m. Open to families. Feb. 23: Science Charcuterie Night, Latin “Roots.” 6 p.m. Geared toward adults. Feb. 24: Fun Friday, Mariculture. 2:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. Families with kids in grades K-4. Feb. 24: Tuesday Night Talk on a Friday with Dr. Julia Parish of UW and Executive Director of COASST will be presenting Seabirds, Citizen Science, and Saving the World. 6 p.m. – 7 p.m. Geared toward adults, but open to all. Feb. 27: Fish Trivia at the Reluctant Fisherman with Dr. Alysha Cypher. 7 p.m. – 8 p.m. Geared toward adults. Feb. 28: Tuesday Night Talk with Alysha Cypher of PWSSC discussing oil effects on herring. 7 p.m. – 8 p.m. Geared toward adults, but open to all. March 6: Sea Squirts. 10 a.m. – 11 a.m. Caretakers and preschoolers 3-5 years old.
- Mini Movers: A parent/caregiver-led casual play session designed for preschoolers to explore
their physical capabilities at their own pace in a fun, safe environment. Tuesday and Thursday
from 10 a.m. – 11 a.m. Cost is $2.50 per child.
- TaiChi exercise is held at 11 a.m. on Monday, Wednesday and Friday at the St. Joseph’s Parish hall.
- Community bike rides, starting at Cordova Gear. Monday evenings at 5:30 p.m. Call 907-424-
5590 for more information or to rent a bike.
- After School Art starting Sept. 16. Fridays 1:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. in the education room of the Cordova Center. Ages 8+. Call #6667, stop by the library or email email@example.com for more information.
- COVID-19 testing is by appointment now. Call Ilanka at 907-424-3622 or Cordova Community
Medical Center at 907-424-8200 to pre-register.
- Current Rhythms is hosting multiple ongoing yoga classes. “Rise & Shine” on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. “Sculpt with Mandy” on Mondays and Wednesdays from 10 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. “Stretch and Tone” on Wednesdays from noon to 12:45 p.m. “Yoga Sanctuary” on Saturdays from 10 a.m. – 11 a.m. Call 907-424-3632 for more information.
- Cordova Gear is hosting community bike rides. Mondays at 5:30 p.m. Call 907-424-5590 for more information or to rent a bike.
- The Salvation Army is hosting rummage sales at 514 First St. Food distribution is the third Monday of each month. If you need food assistance or are interested in volunteering, please contact Katherine Mead at 907-429-7177. Non-perishable food donations can be dropped in the donation box at AC Value Center.
- Sugt’stun for Beginners Class. Learn Sugt’stun (Alutiiq) with Shyla from 6 p.m. – 7 p.m. every Tuesday via Zoom. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
- Cordova Archery Club. Every Sunday from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at the 13-mile shooting range. Learn more by visiting https://www.facebook.com/groups/cdvarchery or by contacting email@example.com.
- Monthly Poetry Showcase for an adult audience – The last Friday of each month at 6 p.m. via Zoom for now. A relaxed and intimate group designed for sharing original works of poetry. A theme is announced each month for inspiration. For login and other information please contact Jillian Gold: <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
- HELP AND HOPE is a new free Ilanka Community Health Center and Sound Alternatives group, which meets Thursdays 6:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. at the Ilanka Wellness Center across from the Episcopal Church—the old DMV office to provide support, education, and the opportunity to work towards healing for friends and family members/friends who have loved ones who suffer from addiction. Call John Yakanak 424-3622 or Elizabeth King 424-8300 for more info.
- NVE RECOVERY CIRCLE. A safe environment where you and your anonymity are honored. Meet 7 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. Tuesdays at Ilanka Wellness Center at the old DMV space across from the Episcopal Church. Contact John Yakanak at 907-424-3622 for more info.
- Regular City Council meetings at 7 p.m. on the first and third Wednesday of each month. Visit cityofcordova.net for more info. Watch council meetings on YouTube at youtube.com/user/cathyrhs.
- There are GOSPEL MUSIC JAMS for the hospital residents on Fridays 3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. for vaccinated and masked singers and musicians. Come join in on the fun! Call me for more info at 907-388-3347.
- ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS. Call 907-244-9406 or 907-347-2286 for more info. They’ve been meeting Wednesday and Friday at 7 p.m. downstairs at the Nazarene Church Education Building.
- Knit & Lit Book Club. Join others for book discussions, knitting and other handicrafts via Zoom at 6 p.m. on the last Wednesday of each month. For more information, contact Anna Hernandez at email@example.com.
- Weight Watchers is on Mondays at the Nazarene Church Education Building at 7 p.m.
- THE NETLOFT has a virtual handcrafting gathering at Wednesday at noon. Follow the link us04web.zoom.us/j/342228580, Meeting ID 342 228 580 and sign in on Zoom to join from your computer or phone. For questions call Amy at 907-988-8000.
- Moms, Pops & Tots Storytime. Native Village of Eyak hosts story time each week at 4 p.m. on Thursdays via Zoom. Register in advance to receive the Zoom invite where you and your child can listen to a story and then share your favorite story with the group. Contact Jessica at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 907-424-7738 for more info.
- Simply Yoga, Yoga Simply. Classes are on Saturdays, from 12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. Ages 13+, drop-in only. Located at Bidarki Recreation Center.
- The Lunch Break: 30 minute Core & Calisthenics. Classes are on Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 12:15 p.m. – 12:45 p.m. Classes began on Oct. 24. Ages 13+, drop-in only. Located at Bidarki Recreation Center.
- The Lunch Break: Six Pack Attack Classes are Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 12:15 p.m. – 12:45 p.m. Classes begin on Oct. 24. Ages 13+, drop-in only. Located at Bidarki Recreation Center.
- Family Fit: Dance Cardio. Classes are on Saturdays, from 3 p.m. – 3:40 p.m. Classes begin on Oct. 29. Ages 13+, drop-in only. Located at Bidarki Recreation Center.
- 30-Minute Circuit Boot Camp. Classes are on Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 5:30 p.m. – 6 p.m. Classes are free until Nov. 5. Ages 13+, drop-in only. Located at Bidarki Recreation Center.
- Old School Step Aerobics. Classes are on Saturdays, from 4:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. Classes are free until Nov. 5. Ages 13+, drop-in only. Located at Bidarki Recreation Center.
- Adult Volleyball & Basketball. Oct. 24, from 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. Entry is $6, or free for members. Located at Bidarki Recreation Center.
- There is a community choir practicing on Thursday nights at 7 p.m. at the Cordova Center. Ruth Fastenau is the director; Anita Smyke is on the piano. Arrive a few minutes before 7 p.m. as the door is locked then.
- Barbara Solomon, licensed nutritionist has free nutrition talks the second Thursday of every month from noon – 1:00 p.m. at the old DMV office across from St. George’s Episcopal Church.
- Tuesday Night Talks started back up in January, courtesy of the Prince William Sound Science Center. Every Tuesday from 7 p.m. – 8 p.m. to hear different speakers from the community. The Jan. 17 talk from 7 p.m. – 8 p.m. is with Raven Cunningham of Chugach Regional Resources Commission, who will discuss Whales and Porpoises in the Prince William Sound. Alaskan Mariculture with Caitlin McKinstry of NVE.
- Morning Music started up again in January. 8 a.m. – 8:40 a.m. at the Mt. Eccles Music Room. It’s a great opportunity to sing and learn fiddle, guitar, mandolin, ukulele, bass and banjo. We start tuning and setting up at 7:30 am — and helpers are needed.
- Let’s Get Brave Together! Questions? (LGBTQ) Support Group meets the first Thursday of every month at 6 p.m. in the CCMC Rehabilitation Gym at the pharmacy entrance. This group is for anyone in the community who identifies as LGBTQ, or for anyone who wants to learn more about this specific community to better support their children, peers, co-workers, etc. *This is a safe space and absolutely NO discrimination or harassment will be tolerated.*
- There is a Heart Healthy Swim Class Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:30 p.m. – 7:30 pm in February at the pool. Call Jessica Jones at 907-429-7997 for more info.