How to apply/renew for U.S. Passport in Cordova

A U.S. passport application.

Cordova residents will have nine months to get a compliant state-issued card or federal identification, such as a passport book or card, after a statewide extension granted by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

Through the recent extension, the State of Alaska has until Oct. 10, 2018 to enforce the REAL ID Act. The REAL ID Act requires states to establish minimum security standards for state-issued driver’s licenses and other forms of identification.

Residents of Alaska may still use their Alaska-issued driver’s license until Oct. 10, 2018 for domestic air travel.

According to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Federal agencies will still accept driver’s licenses and identification cards from Alaska at Federal facilities, nuclear power plants and federally regulated commercial aircraft.

However, after the extension, Alaska residents must show an alternative form of acceptable identification for domestic air travel. Most commonly, a U.S. Passport book or card would be accepted. For a full list of acceptable identification, visit TSA’s website.

For those in town looking to apply for a passport, applications can be found at the Cordova Courthouse, located at 500 Water St.

The application must be submitted in person. To view their business hours, click here.

Application fees vary depending on the type of passport requested.


The U.S. Department of State offers a comparison chart between the U.S. Passport Book and U.S. Passport Card on its website ( The chart compares the document’s use, validity, size, and cost.

If this is your first U.S. passport, book or card, there will be a $25 processing fee.

The passport book allows for travel, domestic and international, while the passport card is valid only for land and sea border crossings between the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean. The passport card cannot be used for international air travel. For more information on these travel limits visit

If you already have a passport and need to renew it, pick up the U.S. Passport Renewal application at the Cordova Courthouse. Certain factors (listed on the application) may restrict you from eligibility for a renewal.

If you are eligible for a renewal you can complete the form and mail it to the address specified on the application.

If you are 16 years or older, your U.S. passport will be valid for 10 years from the date of issue. For those under 16 years of age, your U.S. passport will expire after five years from the issue date.

Although Alaska residents have nine months to get an acceptable form of identification for domestic air travel, be aware that U.S passport applications can take between 4-6 weeks for processing.


Still have questions?

For more information on acceptable identification that is REAL ID-compliant click here.

For more information on REAL ID and FAQ’s click here.

For more information on domestic travel as it relates to REAL ID click here.

Previous articleLand swap eyed for road in Alaska wildlife refuge
Next articleCruise ship market improving for Alaska
Emily Mesner is a staff reporter and photographer for The Cordova Times. Reach her at Emily graduated from Central Michigan University, earning a degree in photojournalism with a cultural competency certificate. She first visited Alaska in 2016, working as a media intern for the National Park Service in Kotzebue and Denali National Park and Preserve, and has been coming back ever since. To see more photos, follow @thecordovatimes and @emilymesnerphoto on Instagram.