The Alaska State Fair is offering $8,000 in scholarships to Alaskan students this year.
Applications are open to Alaskan junior and senior high school students who plan on attending college or a vocational school.
This year the scholarship awards include a $3,000 first place award, a $2,000 second place award, a $1,500 third place award, a $1,000 4-H/FFA/Vendor award, and one $500 honorable mention award. All students who apply will receive two free admissions to the Alaska State Fair, which is scheduled for Aug. 16 to Sept. 2 this year in Palmer.
The deadline to apply for a scholarship is Wednesday, March 27 at 4:30 p.m.
Applications require a cover letter that includes the name of the college or vocational school the student plans to attend; a resume of extracurriculars, community service and employment; one letter of recommendation; a photo that can be used for publicity; and an essay of 1,000 words or less, or a creative project. The creative project could be a video, visual art, business plan, craft, social media campaign, or other.
Any ideas submitted in the written essay or creative project become property of the Alaska State Fair.
According to the fair, the essay or creative project should address one of the following:
• What are the biggest social and economic impacts the Alaska State Fair has contributed to the local economy?
• Alaska leads the nation in new farmers, and has the youngest population of farmers as well as the largest percentage of women involved in agriculture. What can the fair do to keep these trends growing?
• How can the fair have a greater benefit on your community or in the state of Alaska?
• Create a new event, activity or contest that has minimal cost for the fair.
• How would you use a 12-foot by 12-foot booth space at the fair to start your own business or to sell goods or services?
• Explain your involvement in the fair or how the fair has impacted your life.
Last year, the fair awarded $8,000 in scholarships to five students.
Application materials can be submitted at alaskastatefair.org or mailed to: Alaska State Fair, Attn: Kelly Larson, 2075 Glenn Hwy, Palmer, Alaska 99645.