The first structure to be completed in the new town site was the Northern Saloon. Four days later on July 14, 1908, the Red Dragon opened. Outbid for the one scarce pile of lumber by the saloon, Rev. E.P. Newton designed the building as a clubhouse to be open day and night, seven days a week. Described as a plain, well-built frame building, it had one room and its center of life was an open fireplace. Easy chairs, couches with pillows, a table stocked with magazines, writing materials and Cordova’s very first lending library, chess and other games, a piano and pool table all provided comfort. On Sundays, an altar was lowered from a landing above the rafters and the Red Dragon was ready for church services.
This photo is from the Cordova Historical Society collection held in the Museum.